Chapped or dry lips are a common problem that can be painful and unattractive. Common symptoms are dryness, redness, cracking, flaking, and tender or sore lips. Some of the main causes are vitamin deficiency, allergic reaction, dehydration, smoking, excessive licking of lips, sun exposure and harsh weather.
There are many commercial products available to treat chapped lips. But you can save money and easily get relief with some easy-to-follow natural remedies.
7. Aloe Vera Gel
The healing qualities of aloe vera are well known. Putting a small amount of aloe vera gel on your lips daily will help them heal and relieve the pain. Aloe vera gel has an unpleasant taste but its amazing healing quality is worth it.
Another simple and natural solution for chapped lips is cucumber.
- Rub a small slice of cucumber across your dry lips gently so that the juice is applied well over them.
- Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes and then wash your lips with water.
- Do this several times a day to help your lips heal faster.
9. Petroleum Jelly
Petroleum jelly is also very effective in treating dry lips.
- Simply apply some petroleum jelly over your dry lips several times a day to keep them well protected. Reapply before going to bed to keep your lips well nourished during the night.
- You can also first put a light coat of honey on your lips, let it dry for a few seconds and then apply a light coat of petroleum jelly. Wait a few minutes and then remove it with a cotton ball dipped in warm water. Repeat this remedy twice daily.
Dehydration can be the reason behind your chapped lips. It’s important to drink plenty of water during the day to keep your body well hydrated. Try to start your day by drinking one or two glasses of water before eating or drinking anything else. Also, before going to bed drink at least one glass of water. In addition to keeping you hydrated, water helps flush toxins out of the body.
These remedies are effective in treating dry and chapped lips. But to prevent recurrence, keep your lips well moisturized and your body well hydrated, avoid extreme temperatures, and eat a proper diet.